Monday, August 18, 2008

Mom's turn: Phantom footsteps

The older I get the more I reminisce about what my mother would have been like at my age – I have outlived her age at her death by 4 years & 2 weeks now. Never seeing your mother grow old leaves the “wonder” factor wide open: I wonder if I look more or less like her the older I get,
do I see her in my smile?
I wonder if she would have “aged gracefully”, I wonder what health problems would have been genetic, I wonder if we would have gotten along as great as I do with my own daughter, I wonder if my personality is like hers as an adult, more than ever I wonder if she would have ever overcome her demons here on Earth. I have a great role model who jumped right in when she was needed and has guided me through most of life – my aunt! Since she was my mother’s sister, I have a vague idea about some of the looks, but they had totally opposite personalities. SO – back to wondering…I wonder what I would have been like if Mom finished raising me,
would I have such a colorful personality?
I wonder what my life would have turned out to be like and where I would be living now. I have very few memories of her as well, so I wonder what her voice sounded like, I wonder what her hair smelled like, I wonder how tall she would be standing next to me when we hugged.
would she have stood by me & my choices today?
I remember patchouli and silk and Janice Joplin and a hippy commune…these are a few things I hold on to. My mother was tiny – so all of her things I had would never have fit me if they would have lasted…but my aunt held on to this one shirt that still, if I smell hard enough, smells like the essence that I remember in the color of her eyes. So now on my birthday wearing my mother’s shirt – perhaps I can feel just a touch closer to knowing a memory and following in her phantom footsteps.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever else she would have been-she would have been proud of you . M

Unknown said...

Of course you know that post made me cry.

Your mother would have been so proud of the lovely woman you have become. Lovely both inside and out.

Anonymous said...

Precious Elen',
You made a wonderful commentary about you and your MAMA.
Your MAMA was more colorful than her MAMA ( Julie called her MAMA)..
Your are skilled and colorful and much wiser than your MAMA.
In turn, one generation to the next will take on the previous generation's goodness..
Yes, your Mother is proud of you, and thrilled at the promise you will pass on to your daughter..
Just to name those few traits ..Gram's skills, Julie's ability to use color way before it was popular.
Now,Christina will be the most skilled, most colorful, and wiser than all the above.
You never mind now, and do not worry. God has His mighty hand on you and your family..
Love.aj

Anonymous said...

I cried, so did Aislinn. I think you look like your mamma…but you are Judy’s child. You are all the stuff everybody wants to grow up to be. Judy did a wonderful job!
S

Anonymous said...

I do not think she could be more proud of her daughter. You are a WONDERFUL mother and wife and a graceful beautiful woman!