Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mom's turn: Sweet Surprise!

Travis had a few surprises up his sleeve for me to keep my mind off the fact that we weren’t able to camp. First we stopped on the Cherokee Reservation to get some fudge – they have the absolute best fudge ever…or maybe it’s the memories that go with it. That is the same vacation stop we made when I was pregnant! It’s also always nice to pass through their and remember a part of my heritage from my father’s side. Then he stopped at a hotel in Sevierville, TN right on the French Broad River so we could see Teeny go whitewater rafting on her all day trip on Wednesday. We headed over to the outpost bright and early Wednesday so we could ask them where to go along the river and catch them on the rapids for some great pictures. WELL – we got there a little too early and the kids hadn’t boarded the bus yet. That ended up being a good thing because the person in the outpost informed us that the river was inaccessible and pictures could only be taken from a kayak. Hmmm – that won’t work! We spied on her for a minute before she realized we were there and she was laughing and yawning and having a good time! When she came over to the truck we were able to get a hug & kiss, and some quick details of her camp so far!!! She was a little nervous because they had just found out that they were taking duckies down the river!
Kyle & Christina all geared up and ready to go!
I was so glad to have just had that experience so I was able to put her mind at ease. She also said they had hiked SIXTY miles, she got four blisters, and was stung seven times getting into a yellow jacket nest and stirring up some hornets (which she said was the worse sting she has ever gotten instantly causing hives all over her leg). She also stepped in a stinging nettle which she claimed was worse than the yellow jackets, fell on her first day hiking and had two monster bruises on both knees, and caught a cold on her second day hiking! GOOD GRIEF – all that and she was still smiling!!! Additionally she made up a little poem…but that is her story to blog when we pick her up tomorrow!

After they got on the bus to head to the drop off point Travis and I went on to see Asheville, NC to visit and shop since we couldn’t watch her raft over the rapids. Asheville was a lovely community and a place Travis had always wanted to see and the weather was gorgeous.

does NOT make me homesick!!!

We got some coffee and a little treat and then visited some of the shops where I got some surprises for Teeny. She loves to bead and is always making me sweet treats, so this time I found some stuff and decided to make her one so she would have a memory of NC. Of course I went with the Asian theme and added some iridescent beads on a beautiful two tone silk ribbon. Then I found something for myself…a wonderfully scented beeswax tea light holder and an elephant. That is always the best way to remember NC by! We headed back to the hotel but stopped at the Knife shop first. When we got back, Samson said it was time to play…again! He found a new source of entertainment – there was an apple tree by the cabin and he snuck one in his travel house and brought it with us!!! Funny boy.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, I saw that picture of Samson and said, "His ball looks like an apple!" Then I read the rest of your blog! Ha!

Love the necklace. REALLY love the elephant mug!

Glad Teeny is having a great time. I know *I* wouldn't be thrilled to have encountered all the things she encountered. Just shows she is much more adventurous than me. But we already knew that, didn't we. :^)