Friday, July 18, 2008

Mom's turn: Sewanee

We arrived to Travis’ old stompin’ ground, the University of the South, Sewanee. I’ve been before, but the campus is always breathtakingly gorgeous! We took the bikes out for a ride as soon as we got settled in the hotel. It was an awesome 13 mile jaunt around campus where we saw lots of wildlife, mostly deer. Food options were wonderful, too. We ate at the Smokehouse restaurant next door for breakfast both mornings where I also found my FIL a cute “grandpa” gift – an RC cola in a glass bottle, a moonpie, and a hat with a picture of both that says, “It’s a Southern thing.”

Our second day there we went hiking for several miles on some trails Travis remembered. We came across two ponds that Samson loved playing in and a turtle that he was not so fond of. Afterward, we went out to eat at a very lovely restaurant right off of campus, Pearl’s. It was a wonderful date night and some very special time spent with my HH. We ordered a bottle of 2005 Pighin Italian Pinot Grigio, a fruity, light, white wine, a cheese plate appetizer, grilled salmon for me, rib eye steak for Travis, and the best key lime pie & bread pudding I’ve ever had! Travis said he wants to make sure we get our money’s worth out of our new gym membership. :-/ Oh my - even though I will have to work hard to get rid of the residual they were definitely worth it! They both had fresh blueberries on them with raspberry purée.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful shots! Food sounds (and looks) scrumptious!

I wanna go on vacation with YOU GUYS!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, isn't Sewanee beautiful? I've been wanting to check out the restaurant, Pearl's. And those pictures make me want to try even more. Looks like some great food.