Saturday, March 8, 2008

Fetishes...NOT what you're thinking.

My friend Brenna introduced me to Zuni fetishes. (stone animals orginally carved by Navajo Native Americans)
She has a collection of them. I loved them so much I decided to start my own collection!
I have been collecting them for about 3 ½ years now. My collection has now grown to 7.
The first one I got in Colorado is a dolphin; one side has a black opal in it. It is also still my favorite. I am hoping to get another one on our next Colorado vacation which is in less than a week!!

Hear are some of the animals I have and their meanings:

Bear- Bear is the guardian fetish of the West. Bear represents strength and self-knowledge. He is a spiritual guide and also carries within him supernatural powers. Bear is a powerful healing fetish. White bear is the most powerful medicine bear.

Beaver-Beaver is industrious and diligent. He represents achievement and hard work. Beaver promotes family unity.

Coyote-Coyote is the master trickster who often tricks himself. He represents humor and the ability to laugh at one's own mistakes.

Dolphin-Dolphin represents the spirit of trust and friendship. He is very loyal.

Horse -Horse represents partnerships and strength. He also represents power and expanding one's abilities. Horse has innate healing powers.



I also have an elephant, but it is not a true fetish. To be a true fetish it has to be a certain size and has to be a North American animal. I would really like a dragonfly! There are a lot of those that are really pretty!

0 comments: