Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mom's turn: Middle "C"

So I previously mentioned the fabulous gift I received from my FIL, the piano I inherited from my MIL. Well, I finally got it tuned. A professional that specializes in older pianos, who was recommended by a friend, came to see what shape the instrument was in and if it would stand up to tuning. He said it was probably over 70 years old and in very good condition considering its age. That being said, he was only able to tune it to “.50 flat” in an effort to keep the strings from popping. I’m not up on my music theory, but he explained that it was tuned to itself just not to true tuned instruments. He also told us that at some point it had been tuned by a blind person. He knew this because of the felt ring that was placed around middle C; so the next time it’s tuned they have their reference point marked and it’s less work. That was a very interesting aside lesson in musical history. Now to get those lessons started!!!

0 comments: