Friday, February 27, 2009

Mom's turn: Black & White by Candlelight

I decided to surprise Travis with a date night for Valentine ’s Day – a night out at White Oak Plantation with “an evening of exquisite cuisine, wine, art and entertainment.” Sounds fabulous, right? Well – in one word it was “interesting.” For starters parking was not very well thought out. We arrived 30 minutes early and were still deferred to the Albertson’s parking lot where we had to ride the Boogie Bus back to our destination. Not exactly my idea of an appropriate shuttle ride to a formal event…jamming out to hip-hop music with the bass so high the windows rattled in our black and white attire in a fur-lined school bus. HELLOOOOOOO! Okay, we got over that pretty quickly and moved on in hopes of a better experience – hmmm, still waiting! Food was sparse, drinks were warm – although I was asked for a photo op by the coke reps for their Smart Water, art was amateur…to be kind, and the entertainment stunk! My HH was so sweet focusing on “it’s the thought that counts” and being happy to just “be with you” that the night was fabulous anyway. AWE.

I did have fun dressing up for the event, though. I was inspired by my black patent peep-toed pumps that make my feet happy to take it retro, like a 50’s style pin-up girl. I also have a beautiful strand of black glass beads that were my grandmother’s and matched perfectly! And every girl needs to wear bright red lipstick at least once! I watched a few tutorial videos on finger rolls and make-up tips then hit Icing for the silk flower accessories. I had fun even if the event itself left much to be desired!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry the big night out wasn't exactly what you had in mind. I read a write up about the event which said that "perhaps it had outgrown its' venue". I thought, "Uh-Oh. That doesn't sound like a glowing report."
Connie

sara said...

I LOVE THESE PICTURES!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

You both looked great! Elen, you rocked the '50's pin up girl look! I would have sworn I was transported back in time! Fabulous!

Sorry the event wasn't as fabulous as you looked!