Friday, August 17, 2007

Japanese braiding: KUMIHIMO

I learned a really fun, and interesting jewelry making craft called kumihimo, at the library. It is the Japanese art of braiding. There are many different patterns some more difficult than others. The first one I did was a black and pink twist; it is probably one of the easiest patterns.

my first braid
I added beads to this particular one but you do not have to add beads. My favorite one is a lot more time consuming but still not difficult.
ARGH - can anything beautiful really come out of this...YUP!
I made a necklace with my favorite pattern. You can make all of them really colorful. My mom made one that when you finish it looks like a bunch of little hearts.
you have my heart all wrapped up
You can even take a silver string and add it to the braid. Kumihimo is a very fun hobby that people should try. Here is a great web sight for supplies, ideas, etc.:http://www.weirdollsandcrafts.com/kumihimo/kumihimo.html

GEAUX TIGERS...of course we have to have purple and gold accessories!



0 comments: